Maulana Azad Medical College
The Maulana Azad Medical College is situated in the capital city of Delhi. It straddles the historic old city of Delhi on one side and the more modern Lutyen's Delhi on the other. The sprawling campus includes the college and three of its major associated hospitals namely Lok Nayak Hospital and GB Pant Hospital and the Guru Nanak Eye Centre.
The primary aim of this institution is to produce competent basic doctors, specialists, and super specialists. It has endeavored to promote all facilities conducive to learning and furtherance of knowledge.
The history of Maulana Azad Medical College could be traced to 1936, when India was being ruled by the British. Indian Medical Service at that time was heavily manned by the British. In 1940, Col. Curickshank of the Indian Medical Service (IMS) [a British national], was appointed Medical Superintendent Irwin Hospital and Chief Medical Officer of New Delhi. He saw the dream of building a medical college complex near Ramlila Ground.
But before his dream could come to fruition, the Second World War started in 1939 and the plan of building a new medical college had to be dropped. During Second World War some barracks were rapidly constructed near Safdarjung's tomb to establish a medical center for American Troops fighting in this region. This hospital was well equipped with x-ray machine, laboratory and other facilities for various emergency procedures. After the Second World War was over America handed over this place to the Government of India. This place, where the present Safdarjung Hospital exists was to be taken over as an extension of Irwin Hospital Later CGHS took over this place directly to be run by Central Health Ministry.
Today the grave of Mughal era poet, Momin lies near the parking area near the college.
• M.B.B.S. Course - 200 students are admitted annually. The distribution of seats is as per Delhi University Norms
• B.D.S. Course - 40 students are admitted annually. The distribution of seats is as follows:
1. 15% of total seats i.e. 6 seats are filled in through the entrance examination conducted by the CBSE on All India basis.
2. 15% of total seats i.e 6 seats are reserved for Scheduled Castes and 7½% i.e. 4 seats are reserved for Scheduled Tribes.
3. 24 seats are filled on merit basis through DPMT entrance test conducted by Delhi University.
The admission to postgraduate courses are made through the following examination:
1. 25% of seats are filled in through the All India PG Entrance Examination.
2. 75% of seats are filled through the PG Entrance Exam conducted by the University of Delhi.
The admission to postdoctoral courses are made through the entrance examination conducted by the University of Delhi.
• Community medicine
• Dermatology & std
• Forensic medicine
• Guru nanak eye center
• Medical education
• Obstetrics & gynaecology
• Postgraduate medical education & training cell (pgmet)
The institution offers courses in medical specialties at the undergraduate, post graduate, and at the post-doctoral levels. All these courses are recognised by the Medical Council of India and affiliated to the University of Delhi.
The institution offers MBBS and BDS courses at the undergraduate level. It admits 200 students for the MBBS and 40 students for the BDS course annually.
MBBS : 5½ years (including 1 year of internship)
BDS : 5 years (including 1 year of internship)
The institution offers postgraduate degrees and diplomas in a variety of medical specialties. A total of 67 seats are available for MD, 25 for MS, and 25 for post graduate diploma courses.
The details of courses offered are:
Biochemistry including M. Sc. (2)
Dermatology including Venerology (3)
Forensic Medicine (2)
Obstt.and Gynaecology (8)
Community Medicine (2)
Post Graduate Diploma Courses
D. C.H. (5)
Duratoin of Course:
MD/MS Courses : 3 years
Diploma Courses : 2 years
The institution offers post-doctoral courses in 7 super-specialties and admits 24 students each year to these specialties.
• D.M. (Cardiology)(5)
• D.M. (Neurology)(4)
• M. Ch.Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery (4)
• D.M. Gastroenterology (3)
• M. Ch. Neuro -Surgery (4)
• M.Ch. Gastrointestinal Surgery (2)
• M. Ch. : Paediatrics Surgery (2)
Duration of Course:
Postdoctoral Courses : 3 years
Hostel facilities are provided to the students of the institute.
MAMC also caters for the physical health and development of students and staff. Recreational facilities available cover both indoor and outdoor recreational areas. Among the sporting and recreational facilities available are a Swimming Pool, Gymnasiums, Basketball courts, Carom Board Rooms, Volleyball courts, Snooker Tables, Table Tennis Tables, Badminton courts, and a large open ground suitable for Football and Cricket.
The campus has a modern auditorium used for various college functions and have various audiovisual facilities including DVD systems, Music Systems, and Color TVs.
Guest houses are also provided to the Guests of Institution at reasonable charges.
The Students' Counselling Service
The students’ counseling service has been involved in a large number of activities involving the welfare of students of this Institution. Although the activities are largely directed towards academic betterment of the students’ population as a whole along with encouragement to develop their creative talents and interests in the field of art and sports, the counselling service has also endeavoured to single out-students with individual problems and offer the necessary advice and aid.
The students are encouraged to associate themselves with various philanthropic organizations for providing medical relief to the poor. The students belonging to economically weaker section of society are supported by reimbursing their college and hostel fees from the students’ aid fund.
It is mandatory for students to attend all functions of the College viz. College Annual Day, Sports Day, Union Day etc.
College Annual Day
Annual Day is celebrated every year in the month of March/April. Degrees are awarded to the successful Graduates/Post Graduates and awards are also given to the meritorious students. A report containing highlights of achievements of the Institution is distributed on this occasion.
Certificate Course in Yoga
The College organizes Yoga classes as a part of practicai training for certificate course of Yoga through National Open School in collaboration with Vishwa Bharati Yoga Sansthan, Delhi-110092. Last date of application is 30th June and 31st December every year. If adequate number of students take admission then other faculty, staff members and students are permitted to avail the facility without any fees.
Maulana Azad Medical College Old Students’ Association was formed in the year 1971. Every year a grand get-to-gether is organised. Maulanian Silver Jubilee Trust organises scientific programmes and career guidance sessions.
Information Technology Facilities
1. Computer and LAN Facilities: In the first phase, the entire college was put on the net. Two hundred computers were distributed to various departments including the Administrative block, Account section and Academic section. The Account section has been connected through NIC for processing of salary bills. Central command is from LAN Server facility stationed in the college administrative block. A sum of Rs. 291/- lacs was utilized/allocated for execution of the first phase. The second phase of implementation involved as addition of 150 nodes. The whole institution has been computersized and connected by internet. Internet facility is available to all faculty members. A sum of Rs. 110/- lacs has been utilized for the second phase. The laboratoties are in the process of total computerization. In the extension phase of this project, all the faculty members will have e-mail account, the library will be connected to the desktop of each faculty member. Beside the computers and internet facilities available in the library, students also have access to computers in the various departments of the institution.
2. Cyber Cafe: Cyber Cafe has been started in the Institution. Students can avail the facilities at reasonable charges.
The College has one of the finest libraries with an impressive collection of literature, The library is centrally air-conditioned and recently renovated It has spacious reading rooms for students where they can study up till late hours. It has a large number of books and journals and modern self-learning facility through audio-visual aids to keep the readers abreast of latest medical developments all over the world. The library has also acquired computer with 8 terminals having modern Medlar facility for literature search. This has served as unique educational support for postgraduate students as well as teachers. Print out facility for CD-ROM database is also available.
• Dr. Bhupesh Parashar, Program Director, Radiation Oncology Residency Program, Cornell University, NY.
• Dr. Raj Goyal, Mallinckrodt Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Founder President of the American Motility Society, Former Chair of the Division of Gastroenterology at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. He joined Maulana Azad Medical College in 1964 as a post-graduate student in Internal Medicine after completing his undergraduate training in Punjab.
• Dr. Ravi Vij, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO. Reviewer for several journals, including Blood, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Journal of Clinical Oncology, and Experimental Hematology. He completed his undergraduate training at Maulana Azad Medical College in 1989.
• Dr. Manmeet Ahluwalia is an oncologist who treats patients with brain tumors and brain metastases at the Cleveland Clinic. He completed his fellowship at Roswell Park Cancer Center, A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. He is a reviewer for Clinical Oncology and Cardiovascular Pathology Journals. He graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College in 2000.
• Dr. Utkarsh mani tripathi is a world famous cardiologist who is currently working at harvard
• Dr. Vandana Jain, noted ophthalmologist and cornea specialist; trained at MAMC and LV Prasad Eye Institute, she is currently the academic dean and head of cornea, cataract and refractive services at Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital Pvt. Ltd, one of India's leading eye hospitals. She is currently a reviewer of many ophthalmology journals like Ophthalmology, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology. She is also a visiting faculty member at the Jules Stein Eye Institute, CA, USA.
• Dr. Charu Taneja. She is a Surgical Oncologist and Director of the Breast Health Program at Roger Williams Medical Center at Boston University. She graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College in 1989.
• Dr. Shubh yadav. He is a world renowned pediatric surgeon who has performed many complex surgeries and pathbreaking innovations.he is currently working at Massachusetts super speciality health centerharvard medical school
• Dr. Tajinder Singh, Pediatric Cardiologist and Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School. He graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College in 1984.
• Dr Saumitra Rawat, Consultant laparoscopic Surgeon, UK. Contributor to Oxford handbook of clinical Surgery 3rd Edition (Best-selling surgical book) and Oxford handbook of operative Surgery 2nd Edition. Faculty- laparoscopic core skills course, advanced laparoscopic skills course and specialist registrar skills course, Royal college of Surgeons.
• Dr. Himanshu Tyagi, Psychiatrist and noted Internet psychology researcher, UK. He was attributed to as a leading psychiatrist in UK by BBC in July 2008. He is also a co-founder of RxPG, a popular professional networking portal for medical students and doctors. He graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College in 2000.
• Dr. Mandeep Bhargava, Staff Cardiologist, Cleveland Clinic, USA.
• Dr. Rajeev Diddy, the only Indian Radiologist licensed to privately practise in Germany.
Some of the notable members in India-
• Col. Bashi Lal Taneja (The first Dean of the college). The block where the hospital faculty has its offices, is known as Col. B.L. Taneja Block, after his name
• Dr. I. D. Bajaj. First reader of anatomy department. He later rose to the position of Director General of Health Services.
• Dr. P.C. Dhanda. Padma Bhushan, 1962
• Dr. Narottam Puri. Primarily an otorhinolaryngologist, but also a musician, singer, encyclopaedist and a quiz master. His sports quiz on TV during 1970s and 1980s was a much watched show. He currently heads
• Professor Arun Aggarwal, Otorhinolaryngologist (Current Dean)
• Professor Nirmal Kumar, Eminent Gastroenterologist, pioneer in GI Endoscopy and Hepatology. (ex Prof at GB Pant Hospital). A compassionate physician in field of clinical medicine and research. Recipient of several awards and fellowships. He currently heads Dept of Gastroenterology & Hepatology at Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute, New Delhi and is Professor-Emeritus at St.Stephen's Hospital, Delhi.
• Dr. Premashis Kar, noted Physician-Scientist in the field of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, recipient of many National and International awards, over a 135 international research publications
• Dr. Amit Banerjee, Director-Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery.First alumnus to complete MBBS, MS and MCh from MAMC. Delhi Govt State Awardee and Dr B C Roy Awardee. First alumnus to become Medical Superintendent(2009) of Lok Nayak Hospital.
• Dr. Jugal Kishore, Department of Family & Community Medicine, recipient of many national and international awards and author of popular textbooks, listed in Marquis’ Who’s Who in the World 19th Edition 2002 published from USA.
• Dr. Anil Aggrawal, Forensic Pathologist, and editor of Anil Aggrawal's Internet Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
• Dr Pawanindra Lal, Professor of Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgeon, International Tutor & Examiner, Royal College of Surgeons, established the 1st Surgical Skills Laboratory in MAMC; listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World
• Dr Abhijeet Bhatia,a young ENT surgeon by training was part of India's Antarctic expedition "Maitri". He stayed in Antarctica from 2008-2009 providing medical care to the expedition members.
• Dr. Manju Chauhan, noted ENT specialist in the field of Rhinology and Pediatrics, recipient of President award.